The straightforward way to beautifully straight teeth
As well as affecting your confidence, crooked teeth may cause a range of problems such as:
• Gum or jawbone disease (periodontal disease)
• Risk to general health
• Excessive tooth wear and trauma
Why aren't my teeth straight?
Unfortunately misaligned bites are often inherited traits, although teeth can also become crooked in adulthood as a result of factors such as age, genetics, poor oral hygiene and bad habits (biting pens or fingers, excessive use of toothpicks or persistently resting your chin on your hand). Adults may also lose teeth through accidents, extractions or permanent teeth not descending after the baby teeth have fallen out.
Is there anything I can do to prevent my teeth becoming crooked?
If you have lost teeth early as a child, or if your mouth is naturally very small, you may well have issues with crooked teeth. However, there are some preventative steps you can take, and establishing good habits in the following areas can help ensure your teeth stay as straight as possible:
• Don't sleep on your front - the subtle, repeated pressure of sleeping on your stomach can cause teeth to shift over time
• Be aware of your posture when working or studying - persistently resting your head in your hands causes uneven pressure on one side of the jaw that can cause your teeth to move
• Correct habits such as biting nails, chewing pens, blowing bubbles with gum; these can all have an accumulated impact on your teeth
• Fix any gaps where teeth are missing - these cause the force of chewing to be redistributed on the surrounding teeth
• Check your wisdom teeth. Removing them is not always the answer, but your dentist will be able to advise whether removing some or all of your wisdom teeth may help address any overcrowding
What are the options for straightening my teeth?
Clear Aligners have helped countless clients straighten their teeth with minimal cosmetic impact. They will successfully treat overly crowded or widely spaced teeth, and can even relieve more complex issues such as overbites, under-bites and cross-bites. They are the perfect way to perfectly straight teeth, because they are:
• Discreet. Clear Aligners are a bespoke set of invisible, custom-made and removable teeth trays. Because there are no wires, brackets or bands, nobody need even know you are wearing them; and as they are made of smooth plastic they won't irritate your cheeks and gums. Whilst wearing Clear Aligners you can continue to eat your favourite foods, brushing and flossing normally to keep your teeth and gums healthy. You can even remove them for special occasions.
• Highly effective. Typically, achieving straight teeth with Clear Aligners takes 12-24 months, requiring between 18 and 30 custom-made aligners. These are changed every 2-3 weeks to gradually move your teeth and create the smile you always wanted. You will visit your dentist every six weeks for a check-up, the chance to ask any questions and to collect your next set of aligners.
For more information on Clear Aligners, please do not hesitate to contact DentalCareXtra. Alternatively, complete the form below, and one of our friendly team members will contact you.